New York, Dec 31: Habits like reading a book or keeping your mouth minty fresh may affect your sleep.
Huffingtonpost.com shares some of the habits that are likely to spoil a sound sleep:
* You're an inconsistent eater: Studies show inconsistent eating habits can have a negative impact on sleep later in the day. If you have dinner later in the evening, it's okay as long as you stick with it, every day. If not, skip the unexpected dessert.
* Your mouth is minty fresh: Research suggests the scent of peppermint stimulates the brain, making you feel more awake. Try other flavours like strawberry or bubblegum instead.
* You love a good book: Exciting, emotional and intellectually demanding activities before bed can lead to poor quality sleep. Go for something light like sports or entertainment magazine.
* You smoke before bed: Nicotine is a stimulant, making it harder for you to fall asleep. If you can't give up cigarettes altogether, try to smoke hours before going to bed.
* You splash cold water: Cold water helps close pores, but it also stimulates the body, releasing energy to keep warm and stay awake. Try washing your face with warm water in the evening.